Eliminating chemicals in our home is necessary for our skin, our respiratory, and our brain health (just to name a few). Toxic chemicals can be harmful to our brain function especially in children. It makes me feel great as a mom to know that I do everything in my power to eliminate toxins in my home and make the air as clean and healthy as I can for my growing girl.
This is my laundry room. It smells fabulous in here and is a healthy non-toxic environment.
3 simple recipes to save money and naturally make over your laundry room:
1) Simple 3 ingredient Laundry detergent:
1 bar of dōTERRA Serenity soap or Citrus Bliss (I prefer Serenity)
3-4 cups of Borax
3-4 cups of Arm and Hammer washing soda (use equal parts Borax and washing powder)
Grate the soap with a cheese grater into a large bowl and add the washing soda. Coat the soap with the powder and separate the soap pieces – this will keep them from sticking together. Mix in the Borax. Combine and store in an airtight container.
- Use 1/3-1/2 cup per load.
- This scents your clothes beautifully and is great for stains.
2. Freshening Spray for Laundry Balls:
2oz glass spray bottle
10 drops each of doTERRA’s Lavender and Purify essential oils or 10 drops each Lavender and Melaleuca.
- Add essential oils to the spray bottle and top off with distilled water.
- Spray on the laundry balls before each load and toss into the dryer
- Shake to combine before each use.
- I also use this to spray my absorbent diffuser pad hanging over my dryer
3) Fabric softener
Fill a mason jar with Epsom Salt (leave room to shake)
Add 20-25 drops of your favorite doTERRA essential oils (I usually use Lavender)
- Add ingredients to a mason jar and shake to combine
- Add approx 2 TBS per load right in with your laundry detergent
So simple and so healthy!